Gianfar is slower than fcc_enet on MPC8541 ???

Andy Fleming afleming at freescale.com
Wed Feb 15 04:36:54 EST 2006

My guess is that you are measuring latency.  By default, interrupt
coalescing is on, and used to be set to very poor default values.  In
drivers/net/gianfar.h, change the defaults to look like this:

#define DEFAULT_TX_COALESCE 1
#define DEFAULT_TXCOUNT 16
#define DEFAULT_TXTIME  4

#define DEFAULT_RX_COALESCE 1
#define DEFAULT_RXCOUNT 16
#define DEFAULT_RXTIME  4

The problem was that the timeout was quite long, so a small number of
packets would have to wait a whole millisecond (or more!) to get
processed.  While it wouldn't affect bandwidth tests, which send many
packets, it would affect a simple test like ping.

If you don't feel like recompiling the kernel, you can use ethtool to
change the timeout values.