Stability of MPC5200 FEC

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Feb 12 03:08:25 EST 2006

In message <43EE029A.5040504 at 246tNt.com> you wrote:

> > had before the Platform Device rework. But the problem is that we are
> > experiencing that the FEC stops working after a long uptime.
>
> Did you ever observe that behavior on a lite5200 ?
> What is 'long uptime' and do you have sustained transfer during that
> period ? (To try reproduice the problem).

This is a well-known problem,  I'm  afraid.  To  trigger  it,  it  is
usually  (*)  sufficient to transfer a large file (700 MB or so) over
FTP to the target. Note that I've  encountered  the  problem  in  the
context of the 2.4 kernel.

(*) In some cases you can run several such transfers in a row without
problem. Power-cycling the board will bring it back to "normal" mode.

It's probably Bestcomm related. See  the  previous  discussions  with
Freescale about known issues with the 2.6 Bestcomm code.

> Also, what are the 'symptoms' ? (anything in dmesg ?)

No, nothing.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Like winter snow on summer lawn, time past is time gone.