Yosemite/440EP 'issues' as a PCI target

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Fri Feb 10 18:47:53 EST 2006

Hi David,

On Friday 10 February 2006 00:58, David Hawkins wrote:
> Now what if the host wants to interrupt the 440EP.
> Errr, there is no register defined for this purpose.
> The UIC chapter, p220-222 v1.18 manual indicates
> all the interrupt bits. Sure there are a couple of
> PCI source interrupts, one for writes to the PCI
> configuration-space command register (so can't really
> use that),

You could use it but I wouldn't recommend it.

> and another for power-management events.
>
> Have I missed something?

No. This sounds pretty much like the 405GP(r) which also lacks this
host-to-target interrupt facility.

> I'll have an FPGA/CPLD on the external bus, so I guess
> I can implement a mailbox/doorbell register in that
> and then have that register trigger an external interrupt
> on the 440EP. The 440EP PCI target BARs will then need
> to be setup to decode to the EBC decode range.
> Sounds like a hack ... (even more of a hack is to
> loop back a GPIO onto an EXTINT and setup the target
> decode to cover the GPIO registers, and the x86 can
> toggle a GPIO directly).

Yes, those are the choices available. If the CPU doesn't offer such features
directly, I wouldn't even call those solutions a "hack". ;-)

> Of course if I have a few unused peripherals I might
> be able to cause them to generate an interrupt. But
> that gets tricky since in a lot of cases, as device
> interrupts are often controlled via DCRs.

I wouldn't go this way.

Best regards,
Stefan