eldk bug?how to fix

S. Egbert s.egbert at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 9 18:35:14 EST 2006

> In message <43B459C5.1060206 at chello.nl> you wrote:
> >
> > I've seen these messages before. They were gone when I compiled > using
> > ppc_8xx-gcc compiler of a different ELDK version.
> > What version of ELDK are you using? Which gcc version?
>
> This has nothing to do with ELDK versions,  or  any  other  toolchain
> issues.
>
> > >[root at localhost atmlz]# ppc_6xx-gcc -c -o temp atm_aalx.c
> > >atm_aalx.c: In function `main':
> > >atm_aalx.c:201: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
> > >/tmp/cciJlehe.s: Assembler messages:
> > >/tmp/cciJlehe.s:916: Error: unsupported relocation against r3
> > >         mfmsr r3
> > >         ori r3,r3,0x8000
> > >         andi. r3,r3,0xffbf
> > >         mtmsr r3
>
> It's a user only problem (using symbolic names like  "r3"  in  inline
> assember  statements  without  incuding  the  proper  header files to
> resolve thise names).

I had that exact same problem, ESPECIALLY when pulling in a fresh kernel
tree from kernel.org.

Fixed it by defining the CROSS_COMPILE environment variable or modifying
the Makefile's CROSS_COMPILE to the correct file prefix name, in your
case, it is probaly either

    # export CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_8xx-  (DENK gcc 3.3.3)
or
    # export CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-  (GNU gcc)

Check your PATH... make sure its picking up the right version...

  # whereis ppc_8xx-gcc

  # ppc_8xx-gcc --version
or
  # powerpc-linux-gcc --version