Floating point math in kernel interrupt -- am I doing this right?(repost)

Fillod Stephane stephane.fillod at thomson.net
Mon Feb 6 23:57:35 EST 2006

Dan Malek wrote:
>> So my question is, is there some minor detail that my
>> FPU-state-save/restore
>> code is missing, that would cause these sort of symptoms?
>
>Just get all of this out of the kernel.  If you used the standard ALSA
>drivers and framework, lots of mixing features are available to you.
>If you need some custom mixing, just write a plug-in to do it.
>Your data rates are so low they don't justify making any hacks
>like this.

.. or if you *do* need hard-realtime feedback, you may consider
using Xenomai[1] (formerly known as RTAI/Fusion) instead of
a hack of the interrupt handler. Thanks to this nice project,
FPU on PQ2 works fine in kernel-land, and if need be, it will
let you move to user-land seamlessly while keeping the constraints.
Feel free to join the xenomai-help mailing list to get more help
on specific questions. Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Xenomai,
I am just a happy user :-)

[1] http://xenomai.org

Regards,
--