Yosemite/440EP why are readl()/ioread32() setup to readlittle-endian?

Eugene Surovegin ebs at ebshome.net
Thu Feb 2 20:46:41 EST 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:35:56AM -0000, Jenkins, Clive wrote:
> A driver for some device that could be connected to (or plugged into)
> a variety of different platforms of different architecture.
> A driver for a core that could be implemented within an FPGA on
> multiple platforms.

Well, this is all nice but I was wondering about _real_ examples.
When you are talking about "connecting" or "plugging" you have to keep
in mind actual bus interconnect. So far AFAIK PCI (and derivatives)
are the only cross-arch bus.

So basically, you have no _real_ life examples, so I'm wondering why
people need this "arch-independent" non-PCI I/O accessors for
something which doesn't exist.

I think the reason why Linux doesn't have this stuff follows from the
previous paragraph.

--
Eugene