Yosemite/440EP why are readl()/ioread32() setup to readlittle-endian?

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Thu Feb 2 05:20:42 EST 2006

Eugene Surovegin wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 10:04:15AM -0800, David Hawkins wrote:
>
>>Matt,
>>
>>In the same vein as the readl()/writel() question, what
>>are the assumptions regarding memcpy_toio and memcpy_fromio?
>>
>>If the memcpy_to/fromio operations are intended only
>>for access to PCI devices, then they should also inherently
>>perform little-endianness conversion. For the test driver
>>I was working on, I did *not* find this the case, eg.
>>I implemented the test driver read() and write() using the
>>memcpy_to/fromio calls, and the data transfers occur
>>in big-endian (well, 'native' mode, since I also test the
>>same test driver with the PCI adapter in an x86 system).
>>
>>If memcpy_to/fromio can be used in a more general context,
>>then I can see why they operate in native mode.
>>
>>Just looking for enlightenment.
>

> This commands IIRC are intended for copying chunk of _bytes_. There
> are no issues with endianess for bytes, e.g. they work just like
> ordinary memcpy.

True, good point.

I quite often implement a 'control' device to read/write/mmap PCI
device registers. In that case, the registers are usually 32-bit, so
if I wanted endian neutrality, I could either let the user-space
app determine the endianness and act accordingly, or force the
user-space app to always see little-endian registers by replacing
memcpy_to/fromio calls with a loop over read;/writel, and in mmap
making sure to set the _PAGE_ENDIAN flag. Of course, making mmap
endian-neutral depends on the 440EP page flags, which say an
ARM might not have.

Thanks for the valuable feedback guys.

Dave