Kernel hangs after "Now booting the kernel" if Xilinx plb_temac driver included

Ming Liu eemingliu at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 8 02:01:05 EST 2006

Dear all,
I am trying to include the EDK-generated plb_temac driver in my 2.6.16
kernel tree. Before I include the new driver, I used the one from
http://source.mvista.com/~ank/paulus-powerpc/20060309/ for the old
plb_temac and hard_temac cores. There is no problem and the kernel could
run correctly with the 2.6.16 tree. Then to update the temac driver, I
copied and overwrote the file xparameters_ml403.h, the files in
EDK-generated BSP \drivers\net\xilinx_temac, and the files in
\drivers\xilinx_common into the linux source tree and made some necessary
and basic modifications. Finally I got a zImage.elf image. However
unfortunately when I boot the kernel, it hangs after "Now booting the
kernel" and nothing continues later.

I noticed that there are some changes between the kernel files and the
EDK-generated files for UART console driver.(I am using opb_uart16550 for
UART.) Then I guess maybe the problem is on the UART console. But I am not
sure. So if possible, I am anxious for the suggestions from other experts.
Any idea on how to find out the problem? Thanks a lot for your help.

BR
Ming