PPC405 system slow boot

Arvid Staub Arvid.Staub at mediornet.com
Wed Aug 30 18:20:08 EST 2006

hi!

i've recently had a similar situation with a XC2VP50-based custom board.
There was no SystemACE involved, we load the FPGA via a CPLD/serial flash.

the problem resided in the interrupt controller, which was not able to enable interrupts due to an error in the MHS file.
you should check that your interrupt controller section includes the following parameters:
PARAMETER C_HAS_IPR = 1
PARAMETER C_HAS_SIE = 1
PARAMETER C_HAS_CIE = 1
PARAMETER C_HAS_IVR = 1

the intc driver uses SIE and CIE to atomically enable and disable interrupts.
when the uartlite interrupt was not enabled, the uartlite driver encountered timeouts which caused single characters to appear at the serial console, similar to what you described.

hope that helps,
arvid staub