atomic operations in user space

Brent Cook bcook at bpointsys.com
Fri Aug 25 00:18:19 EST 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 05:39, Li Yang-r58472 wrote:
> Why do you need atomic operations in user land?  IPC will be sufficient
> to deal with race conditions between processes.
>
> Best Regards,
> Leo

What about multiple threads within a process updating a counter?

Of course, if you look at these functions in the kernel header, they're just 2 or 3 inline assembly calls - you could easily rewrite them. Google for 'PowerPC atomic increment' and grab one of the unencumbered implementations if you need to use it in a non-GPL program.

On the other hand, I see no license at the top of my /usr/include/asm-i386/atomic.h file at all, same for PowerPC - are Linux header files actually GPL or are they more like the glibc headers, with exceptions made for userspace programs?

The atomic operations on x86 were accidentally exported early on, so they have to hang around apparently for compatibility (there are some mailing list threads out there to this effect.) Currently, you just have to assume in Linux that if you include something from /usr/include/linux or asm that it will not necessarily be cross-version or cross-architecture compatible. Not every arch in Linux even has atomic operations of this nature, which I guess is the main reason why they are not exported in general.

 - Brent