ARCH=ppc or ARCH=powerpc

Parav Pandit paravpandit at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 22:58:43 EST 2006

Thanks for correcting my understanding.
  We would also move our code to powerpc from ppc next release onwards.

  Parav

Josh Boyer <jdub at us.ibm.com> wrote:
  On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 05:38 -0700, Parav Pandit wrote:
> ppc = 32bit.
> powerpc= 64bit.
> Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, you're wrong. Some 32 bit boards are also under arch/powerpc now.

> I am not sure why community didn't adopt the name ppc and ppc64 just
> like ia-32 and ia64.

They did originally.

The new direction is to have everything under arch/powerpc, both 32 and
64 bit. The reason arch/ppc still exists is because some 32 bit
platforms have not been fully migrated to the requirements to be merged
into arch/powerpc. Namely, the code has to boot from an OpenFirmware
like flattened device tree. The PPC 4xx family of processors, as an
example, does not do this yet though there is work going on to adapt it.

Eventually, arch/ppc will go away and all of PowerPC will be under
arch/powerpc. That's the goal anyway.

josh