Linux hanging on Xilinx SystemACE

Keith J Outwater kjoutwater at raytheon.com
Tue Aug 22 07:16:35 EST 2006

> The adapter.c file fixed the problem, however running in polling I/O
> mode is far too slow. Since this is not an option for successful
> operation of our machine, do you know of a driver fix for this problem?
> Perhaps a newer version of the linux source tree is necessary. I'm using
> the Linuxppc_2_4_devel tree available from bkbits/mvista. Thanks for the
> help so far!
Sorry, I am not aware of any driver fix to make interrupt mode work.
Unfortunately, the use of the SystemACE under Linux for access to CF
file systems appears to be a niche application, so it does not receive
a lot of attention.

I recall someone on the net stating that they had observed the SystemAce
issuing more than one interrupt in response to sector transfers.  The
SystemACE is a strange beast (as you may have already observed!) and
perhaps it is being configured in hardware or software differently in your
design versus the Xilinx ML300 design.
For my particular application, I used the CF card to hold a root
filesystem image that was placed in RAM on boot, so I did not see a big
hit during operation.  Basically, the mediocre performance of the driver
in polled mode was good enough for me.  Maybe some day I'll return to that
problem, but right now other issues are more pressing.  As I stated
originally, the SystemACE driver appears to work fine in interrupt
mode for ML300 boards, but dies with Memec eval boards.  Perhaps you can
download the relevant designs for each board and compare them.  If you
do this, be sure to check the schematics as well as the configuration
of the SystemACE and the interrupt controller IP blocks in the Xilinx EDK
tool.  Maybe this will uncover something obvious.  Also, if MontaVista
supports their kernel on the Memec board, they may have seen this problem
and maybe even have fixed it.  I also used the mvista kernel and there is
support for a Memec board in there, although I don't know the exact part
number.

Keith