8260 SMC1 and SMC2 serial port problems

Pelton, Dave dpelton at ciena.com
Thu Aug 17 06:46:46 EST 2006

Hi Boris,

I recently upgraded my kernel from 2.6.15 to 2.6.17 on a 8247 based
custom board (8247 has a CPM2 and is similar to the 8260).  I use SMC2
as a serial port, and I had a couple of problems when I started using
2.6.17.  I think initially I was seeing the same behaviour as you
(serial port only worked when it was defined as the console).

The "compat mode" message you are seeing is part of the new CPM UART
0.02 driver (refer to http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=5149
and related patches).  If there are no UART platform devices added in
your board specific code, then you will see this message.  To make the
compat mode work properly with the new driver I made a couple of changes
(see attached cpm2_uart_noplatform.diff).  The changes are to
drivers/serial/cpm_uart/cpm_uart_core.c:

1) Added a call to pinfo->set_lineif in cpm_uart_request_port
This code is required to set up the port pins and BRG for the UART.
This was in the old version of the driver and I added it back.  As far
as I can tell, this chunk of code is what makes the serial port work
properly when it is not the console (in compat mode).  To make this
properly compatible with the platform stuff, this call should not be
made if the device has platform data, but I'm not exactly sure how to
add that check in a clean way.

2) Added a call to cpm_uart_init_portdesc in cpm_uart_console_init
This was another snippet that was in the previous version of the driver.
I don't recall exactly what behaviour this fixed, but I think it made
things better.  Again this may not work properly if the device has
platform data.

I did try defining a platform device for the UART in my board specific
file (similar to what is done in arch/ppc/platforms/mpc8272ads_setup.c),
but I ran into a couple of problems here too.  The main problem is that
arch/ppc/syslib/pq2_devices.c needs a small change to the naming of
things for the SMCs (see attached cpm2_smc_resource_rename.diff).  That
made things work better, but not 100%.  I decided to go back to compat
mode, because with the fixes outlined above it was working fine for me.

- Hope this helps,
  David Pelton