XUPV2P, Kernel 2.6.17 boot problem

Benjamin Heyne benjamin.heyne at uni-dortmund.de
Tue Aug 15 00:42:07 EST 2006

And so it came to pass, that on Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:00:33 -0500
Milton Miller <miltonm at bga.com> wrote as thus:

> >> I think your kernel is growing larger than
> >> 4MB, which is the link address of the zImage.
> >
> > Well - That's exactly the case. But looking into misc-embedded.c, I
> > noticed
> > that the load address for gunzip is fixed to 0x400000...shouldn't this
> > be dependent on CONFIG_BOOT_LOAD_BOOL and CONFIG_BOOT_LOAD?
> >
> > I've changed the line to
> >
> > #ifdef CONFIG_BOOT_LOAD_BOOL
> > 	gunzip(0, CONFIG_BOOT_LOAD, zimage_start, &zimage_size);
> > #else
> > 	gunzip(0, 0x400000, zimage_start, &zimage_size);
> > #endif
> >
> > and now it seems to work fine for big images (if CONFIG_BOOT_LOAD
> > is set large enough of course...) - which wasn't the case before.
>
> It shouldn't depend on CONFIG_BOOT_LOAD_BOOL.   CONFIG_BOOT_LOAD is
> set all the time (the question is dependent on _BOOL not the variable
> and the default is used).
>
> milton

OK - Thanks. So replacing

	gunzip(0, 0x400000, zimage_start, &zimage_size);
with
	gunzip(0, CONFIG_BOOT_LOAD, zimage_start, &zimage_size);

should do the trick. Maybe we should report this to the file maintainer,
if you'd consider this to be a bug, too....

Best regards
--
Benjamin Heyne