[RFC] Adding MTD to device tree

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Sat Aug 12 07:10:40 EST 2006

On Friday 11 August 2006 17:31, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
> +   h) MTD nodes
> +
> +   Memory Technology Devices are flash, ROM, and similar chips, often used
> +   for solid state file systems on embedded devices.
> +
> +   Required properties:
> +
> +    - device_type : has to be "mtd"
> +    - compatible : Should be the name of the MTD driver. Currently, this is
> +      most likely to be "physmap".
> +    - reg : Offset and length of the register set for the device.

I would prefer to call them something different in the device tree.
The name 'mtd' is very specific to Linux, but the device tree
is a more generic concept.

I understand that the booting-without-of.txt file is by definition
Linux specific as well, but we should be prepared for making parts
of it a OS independent binding at the point where we put the same
device nodes into actual OF implementations that able to boot
different operating systems.

I would prefer a naming that has

   Required properties:
    - device_type : one of "nand-flash", "nor-flash", or "rom".
    - model : an identifier for the actual controller chip used.
    - compatible : Should be the name of the MTD driver. For
      type "rom", this is most likely "physmap".

	Arnd <><