regarding pci vga card output with powerpc

sudheer urwithsudheer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 17:10:19 EST 2006

Andrey Volkov wrote:
> sudheer wrote:
>
>> Andrey Volkov wrote:

>>> See Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt.
>>>
>>> If be short, add:
>>>
>>>     console=/dev/ttySxx console=/dev/tty1
>>>
>>> (both) to a kernel parameters string.
>>>

>> I got upto login prompt on the vga monitor only after giving the above
>> parameters in my u-boot bootargs.
>> u-boot=> set bootargs console=tty1 console=ttyS0,115200.
>>

>> I have added in the serial driver  linux/drivers/serial/serial_core.c
>>    in the function  uart_write(struct tty_struct *tty, const unsigned
>> char * buf, int count)
>>    The lines in the if directive.
>>
>> if (c <= 0)
>>                         break;
>>                 memcpy(circ->buf + circ->head, buf, c);
>> /* added to test vga */
>> #if 1
>>                 memcpy(tempbuf, circ->buf + circ->head, c);
>>                   for(i=0;i<c;i++)
>>                   printk("%c", tempbuf[i]);
>> #endif
>>
>>  circ->head = (circ->head + c) & (UART_XMIT_SIZE - 1);
>>                 buf += c;
>>
>> Then as i expected, all the letters i enter in the minicom came twice on
>> the minicom.
>>

> Because printk didn't print to an dedicated device, but to a klog
> stream. So check your /etc/inittab and /etc/securetty, its similar
> that something wrong in this files.

oh..sorry, i forgot to tell you about the other two modifications done
in the kernel config and ramdisk.
In the kernel config-- I have selected the virtual terminal option.
In the ramdisk- etc/inittab - i added the following line:
::respawn:/sbin/getty tty1 115200 vt100.
The etc/securetty contains the following:
console
fb0
tty1
tty2
tty3
tty4
tty5
tty6
tty7
tty8
ttyS0
ttyS1
ttyS2
ttyS3
ttyp0
ttyp1
ttyp2
ttyp3
ttyAM0
ttyAM1
tts/0
tts/1

Do i need to use fb0, to send the  serial data to frame buffer ?