[RFC] consolidated libdt proposal

Haren Myneni haren at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 9 13:19:55 EST 2006

Pantelis Antoniou wrote:

> On 08 Αυγ 2006, at 8:37 ΠΜ, Haren Myneni wrote:
>
>> Hollis Blanchard wrote:

>>> Mark, I had a look at the code Pantelis wrote for u-boot, and it was
>>> pretty easy to adapt to meet Xen's (userspace-based) needs. I've
>>> attached my version below (and see ft_setup() at the bottom of the
>>> file). Does it meet your requirements for the kernel bootwrapper?
>>>
>>> One limitation of the attached code is that it doesn't support changing
>>> the *size* of properties, though I don't think that would be too
>>> difficult to add if needed.
>>>
>>> Haren, what about using this in kexec-tools?
>>>

>> Hollis,
>> Good idea to have this lib. Based on brief look, some of these funcs
>> are also useful for kexec-tools. Yes, as you mentioned, changing the
>> size of properties is important for kexec/kdump.
>>
>> Present flattened device-tree process in kexec-tools:
>>
>> - Kexec-tool reads the /proc/device-tree and sort these entries since
>> we get the different order than the first kernel uses.
>> - creates linux,usable-memory property under /proc/device-tree/
>> memory@* as appropriate. (for kdump)
>> - Modify the reserve map for RTAS, initrd, TCE and (0- crashkernel-
>> start)
>> - Create initrd properties if not exist in the first kernel as needed
>> - Modify bootargs property
>>
>> Thanks
>> Haren
>>

> Hi Haren,
>
> Mind writing down what your requirements are? Just modifying the size
> of the properties?

Pantelis,

Yes, kexec-tool can use the proposed interfaces.

kexec-tool requirements:
creating the flattened device-tree from scratch based on the first
kernel /proc/device-tree
While doing this process, should be able to
- add new properties (Ex: linux,usable-memory property under
/proc/device-tree/memory@*)
- Modify properties: size and the value of the property could be
changed(Ex: bootargs, not an issue since creating new anyway)

Thanks
Haren