Howto Cross Compile GCC to run on PPC Platform

Bryan O'Donoghue typedef at eircom.net
Sat Oct 29 06:48:42 EST 2005

Peter Hanson wrote:
> On 10/28/05, Steven Blakeslee <BlakesleeS at embeddedplanet.com> wrote:
>
>>>get it to cross compile gcc (to run on ppc).  Does anyone
>>>know of a good HowTo to do this?
>>
>>Karim Yaghmour's "Building Embedded Linux Systems"
>>

>>> I'm currently downloading the source distro of ELDK, so if
>>>it's already in there I'll find it, but if there is one
>>>elsewhere online please let me know.
>>
>>Very good, full of features.
>

> My favorite cross tool chain site:
>
> Building and Testing gcc/glibc cross toolchains
> http://kegel.com/crosstool/
>
> Look into Canadian crosses.  At the very least you should find the
> discussion helpful.

I'd use the ELDK if I were you as an x86 hosted cross compiler, if only
because it makes sense in terms of compiling bootloader & kernel with
the same toolchain. Also, if memory serves the ELDK comes with a powerpc
gcc in the supplied ppc root file system.

Alternatively : you can use the uClibc toolchain, to generate a similar
setup.

Here's a script I've thrown together since I sometimes need to generate
gcc toolchains easily for various targets. I've tested it with arm and
powerpc and because, it might be useful to switch between c libraries. ymmv.
http://netsoc.dit.ie/~deckard/software/build_compiler.sh. This script is
based on some excellent documents that Red Hat produced.

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2005-08/msg00114/l-cross-ltr.pdf

--
"Caveat Emptor" -- James T. Kirk, in no such episode