Kernel 2.6 on MPC8xx performance trouble...

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Fri Oct 28 16:57:44 EST 2005

Hi all,

Many people have said it before: 2.6 has a performance penalty specially for
embdedded systems.
But now that I have 2.6 running on our 100MHz MPC852T based board, I was
shocked to see the result:
The most simple task doing nothing but a closed loop of integer math runs at
_half_ the speed compared to kernel 2.4.25!!!!!

Here are the conditions for the test:
- Bogomips are the same, so the CPU definitely runs at the same clock-rate
(and not half) as with "2.4".
- Enabling and disabling preemption doesn't have any impact (as expected for
such kinds of tasks).
- Setting HZ to 100 or 1000 also has only about 3% impact on speed.
- The binary of the test program is the same in both cases (no re-compile with
other optimizations by accident).
- The hardware is the same (exact same board).
- Certain hardware drivers that are not ported to "2.6" yet were present in
"2.4" but (obviously) not in "2.6", but non of them could have a _positive_
impact on performance.
- Kernel versions are 2.4.25 (denx-devel) and 2.6.14-rc5 (denx-git 20051027).

Result: The test takes 3 seconds on kernel-2.6 and 1.5 seconds on kernel-2.4.
Here is what "time" has to say about it:

real    0m3.119s
user    0m3.080s
sys     0m0.040s

The test loop is pretty brain-dead, but that doesn't matter right now.
This is it:
	[....]
	gettimeofday(&tv0,NULL);
        for(t=0L; t<10000000L; t++)
        {
                a+=b; /* Do something */
        }
        gettimeofday(&tv,NULL);
	[...]

Any ideas?
Am I misconfiguring something? Is 2.6 support for mpc8xx still broken
(cache/tlb, mm, etc) or is 2.6 supposed to perform THAT bad??

Greetings,

--
David Jander