flash for lite5200

Alessandro Rubini rubini at gnudd.com
Tue Oct 18 02:42:53 EST 2005

Hello.

I'm using linux-2.6.14-rc3-g4c234921 from denx, and I need to access
the flash device.  While in 2.4 there is drivers/mtd/maps/icecube.c
(by Wolfgang Denk himself, it seems), I managed to see the flash
using the physmap driver and cmdline partitions.

Does it make sense to add the correct MTD settings to
arch/ppc/configs/lite5200_defconfig (and some hints in
Documentation/powerpc/mpc52xx.txt) without porting the whole of
maps/icecube.c or is there a specific advantage in add a file in maps?
-- well, besides having sensible partitions already ported from 2.4?

In either case, I'm willing to contribute the patch.

These are the winning settings for me, but it doesn't cope with
lite5200 speciments with 8MBi of flash (are there any still around?)
[there's more than strictly needed, actually]

CONFIG_MTD=y
CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS=y
CONFIG_MTD_CMDLINE_PARTS=y
CONFIG_MTD_CHAR=y