kernel panic with VFS unable to mount root fs on 01:00

Nathael PAJANI nathael.pajani at cpe.fr
Mon Oct 17 22:03:08 EST 2005

linuxppc-embedded-request at ozlabs.org wrote:
> i use MPC862 with 64mb ram on my custom board , i use eldk 3.1.1 , with linux-2.4.25 and
 > ramdisk_image.gz provided by  denx eldk ,
>
> when i boot kernel with ramdisk image , kernel at 0x500000 and ramdisk at 0x600000 ,
 > i get the following message given below ,
> on uboot i use smc2 , on linux i use scc4 , as i got som eproblem getting smc2 up on linux kernel ,
 > i get always kernel panic with VFS unable to mount root fs on 01:00 ,
> i used even multi image clubbing vmlinux.gz and ramdisk_image.gz even this gives me the same result ,
>
> is there something else i should configure or i am missing something else imp ,
>
> thanks in advance
> regards
> neelu
>
> __ioremap(): phys addr 03e13000 is RAM lr c000c1c8
> RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 4096K size 1024 blocksize
> NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
> IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
> IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
> TCP: Hash tables configured (established 4096 bind 8192)
> NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
> <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds..
>
> #
> # Platform support
> #
> CONFIG_PPC=y
> CONFIG_PPC32=y
> CONFIG_8xx=y
> # CONFIG_PPC_STD_MMU is not set
> CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_NOT_COHERENT_CACHE=y
> CONFIG_MBX=y
> CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION=y
> CONFIG_EMBEDDEDBOOT=y
>
> #
> # General setup
> #
> # CONFIG_HIGHMEM is not set
> CONFIG_HIGHMEM_START=0xfe000000
> CONFIG_LOWMEM_SIZE=0x30000000
> CONFIG_KERNEL_START=0xc0000000
> CONFIG_TASK_SIZE=0x80000000

> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
> #
> # File systems
> #
> CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS=y
> CONFIG_RAMFS=y
> CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
> CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y

 > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096

You should try with 8K (this solved the problem for me)

and on my side the command line root option is root=/dev/ram, but I'm
using a ramdisk made by someone else so I do not know much about it, and
a 2.6.13 kernel, so this may be different.
and before VFS outputs any message, RAMDISK says:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).

And make sure the file system in the ramfs is ext2.. but I think the
message would be different in this case.