spi on mpc82xx

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Nov 30 16:49:45 EST 2005

On Nov 29, 2005, at 5:14 AM, Thomas Arvanitis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering what is the status for supporting spi devices with 2.6
> on an mpc82xx device (I use an mpc8275). I checked and the kernel from
> kernel.org does not include anything. Is there an spi bus
> infrastructure (like i2c) coming any time soon, where one can add
> support for specific chips, and then write a driver on top of that?
> Or a plan for these things?
>
> I found a patch for something like that, by Grant Likely, but I don't
> know whether I should go that way.
>
> I want to write a driver for controlling the micrel ks8995 ethernet
> switch through spi. Should I just go for a self contained driver?

There has be some patches on the lkml list for the creation of a SPI
layer similar to I2C.  I'm not sure what the latest status is.  I'd
google search for SPI on lkml.

Once something like that gets in I'm sure someone will get around to
contributing a SPI driver for the 82xx line of processors.

- kumar