Freescale 8541 support

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Nov 24 07:14:48 EST 2005

In message <200511230816400937.2B36A589 at smtp.dslextreme.com> you wrote:

> Thanks for the reply!  Unfortunately, I am constrained to use the 2.4
>  kernel by another software package that I have to use, which doesn't yet
>  support 2.6.  It appears to me that the 8541/8555 support was put into 2.6
>  and never back-ported to 2.4.  I'll take a look at the manuals today and

Yes. We will add specific board support for the 8541/8555  (in  terms
of the TQM8541 and TQM8555 boards) to our 2.6 git repository in a few
days, but we don't have any intentions to support these boards in our
2.4 tree (unless you pay us for it, of course :-)

>  compare the 8540 to the 8541: perhaps I can live with the 8540 support
>  that does appear to be in the 2.4 kernel.  If not, hopefully the porting
>  job won't be very difficult.

It's just a routine job, but it takes time  and  resources,  and  you
have  to  decide  if  it makes sense to invest these in a kernel tree
that will not be developed any further.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Our business is run on trust.  We trust you will pay in advance.