fix swapping on 8xx?

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Tue Nov 8 22:59:26 EST 2005

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 01:55, Dan Malek wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2005, at 10:10 AM, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> > The following is an attempt to fix swapping on 8xx by not touching
> > _PAGE_ACCESSED bit if the page is not present.
>
> Ugh ....  I suppose.  I hate assembler code macros .......
> Somehow, "swapping" and "8xx" just don't belong together.

Well, at least it sounds ugly together, but it is also at least conceiveable.
There seem to be people who use PCMCIA for an IDE interface, so swapping may
become desireable in some cases.

> I'm tempted to add a configuration option that is the complete
> opposite of this and assumes are really embedded system.
> Mark pages as always accessed, data pages as always dirty,
> and you can eliminate lots of TLB faults in systems that are
> fairly static.

It sounds tempting indeed, but should you really notice a performance increase
out of this?

Greetings,

--
David Jander