PPCBoot 2.0.0 Errors

Sette Agostino Agostino.Sette at siemens.com
Tue Nov 8 19:37:07 EST 2005

Hello Wolfgang,

Thanks for your answers.
I agree with you concerning the PPCBoot. In fact in other boards we are
using U-Boot.
We tried to use U-Boot for MPC859 but we had some problems we are trying to
solve.
As far as you know to change the boot or the kernel on cards in field is not
so easy :-(
Anyway, I would like to highlight I think the problem  is more related to
the
kernel because when it starts I see the following error

init started:  BusyBox v0.60.5 (2003.11.19-14:32+0000) multi-callmount:
Mounting devpts on /dev/pts failed: No su
ch file or directory
/opt/rc.project: /opt/bin/sinfo: No such file or directory

We check that slowing-down the UPM clock to 63 MHz (period=15.873ns) the
board showed a more stable behavior (no fault verified).
We start our investigation on the PPCBoot, but now we are moving on the
kernel.
No critical HW points have been found on the FLASH accesses, SDRAM accesses
and clocking circuitrty.
We found an unexpected beahviour regarding the Linux time tick.
Tracking with a HP16602 Bus Analyzer the bus activities of the faulty module
has been verified that the
interrupt service routine of the Decrementer timer, that I supposed to be
used to generate the OS time tick, it is not executed each 10ms.
Sometimes the period between 2 Decrementer interrupt service routines reach
hundreds of ms (but even as 10mS multiple)
such as some requests are missing.
Making the same tracking on a TQM866 module has been verified that the
interrupt service routines of the Decrementer timer are
all executed at the exact 10ms boundary.

Another interesting point is that the same kernel works well on other TQM8xx
modules, but not fot TQM859.
I will try to introduce the U-Boot, but I am not confident it will solve the
problem, what do you think about it?
Last question, which is the appropriate mailing list?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Best regards,
Agostino Sette

TechnoLabs