MPC860 CP / CPM Misbehaving

Martin, Tim tim.martin at viasat.com
Thu May 26 10:32:51 EST 2005

An update (and solution) to the problem I was having...Thanks to everyone
who sent me suggestions!

> I'm using a custom MPC860 based embedded board and having problems with
SCC1
> and SMC1 reception.  I have SCC1 setup in ethernet mode, and SMC1 setup in
> UART mode.  The general problem manifests itself as getting receive buffer
> descriptors (BDs) from the CPM with the OV bit set (bit 14 of the RxBD
> status/control field, "Overrun. Set when a receiver overrun occurs during
> reception").

I was apparently the victim of errata in the MPC860, possibly related to a
published errata CPU5 - Instruction MMU bug at page boundaries in show-all
mode.

Either one of the following fixed the problem, but I chose to stick with Fix
#2 since Fix #1 has some other errata associated with it for various MPC860
silicon versions.

Fix #1) Enable SIUMCR[DSHW] - Show address and data of all internal data
cycles.  Not entirely clear why this would have helped, and there's errata
saying NOT to do this (e.g. SIU2)

Fix #2) Disable show all mode (per CPU5), in my case set ICTRL[ISCT_SER]=011
Core is fully serialized/no show cycles is performed for fetched
instructions.

Tim