MMUCR on ppc440 GP/GX

Matt Porter mporter at kernel.crashing.org
Tue May 24 08:03:22 EST 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 01:55:58PM -0700, ming lei wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have problem on running system with linuxppc
> 2.4.19(ppc440GP/GX) regarding MMU Control
> Register(MMUCR).
>
> I checked the code in arch/ppc/ there is no code
> setting or unsetting bit 12(DULXE) or bit 13(IULXE),
> but somehow these two bits got changed during boot
> process.
>
> Question 1:
> Does CPU or other hardware change these two bits? If
> linux code doesnt set these two bits initiallt, what's
> the default value?  Or I miss something in the code
> that may change these two bits?
>
> Question 2:
> For current 2.4.19 PPC440 implementation, there is no
> special handling for this kind of DataStorage
> exception, is it possible for the user code to stuck
> in this exception forever if these two bits got set in
> MMUCR and the user code calls icbi instruction?
>
> I did a simple test on head_440.S so whenever the
> DataStorage exception happens, in DataStorage assmbly
> code, I clear these two bits in MMUCR, but somehow
> these two bits got set mysteriourly in next exception
> with error_code 0x200000(got from ESR DLK bits).
> What's happening here?

Your kernel revision is very ancient. The problem here is that
you are trying to use _very_ early PPC440 core code I released.
It's filled with critical bugs that were fixed over time. The MMUCR
issue was fixed almost 3 years ago, in fact.

Your best solution is to run a more recent kernel.  If that's
not possible, then I suggest you backport all the PPC440
related code from a more recent kernel into your old kernel
base.

-Matt