linux-2.6.10, ppc8280, odd ARP request - solved

Richard Danter richard.danter at ntlworld.com
Thu May 12 21:31:39 EST 2005

Richard Danter wrote:

> My board boots using U-Boot. It tftp loads the kernel image via FCC2, so
> I know the FCC's are working (I have tested the others too). This part
> is fine, but once the kernel has loaded it tries to NFS mount the root
> filesystem. When it gets to the point of looking up the RPC port it
> first sends an ARP request for the server. When eth0 is any of the FCC's
> I see a 59 byte packet on the wire (using ethereal). The server either
> does not see the packet or just ignores it so there is no reply to the
> board.
>
> When I boot using SCC1 as eth0 the ARP request sent is 60 bytes long. It
> is replied to and the NFS mount works.
>
> I noticed that U-Boot also sends an ARP request before the tftp download
> starts and it is 60 bytes long using both SCC and FCC ports. But as far
> as I know, ARP requests can be varying length (the last few bytes seem
> to be just padding).

Looks like the problem may be with the setup of the FCC, particularly
with working out what speed to run at. I connected my board to a
100BaseT hub and it worked perfectly. It was failing when I was using an
older 10BaseT hub. In both cases the hub is a Netgear and I have never
had a problem with any other board or PC.

Odd how it effects Linux but not U-Boot. Seems to indicate a driver
issue anyway.

Rich