Platform bus/ppc sys model...

Jakob Viketoft jakob.viketoft at bitsim.se
Thu Mar 31 02:12:33 EST 2005

Kumar Gala wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2005, at 7:52 AM, Andrei Konovalov wrote:
>> Do I understand correct that the ppc_sys model used by 85xx, 83xx, and
>> 52xx
>>  SOCs is not so well suited for Virtex-II Pro (which Jakob and me bear
>> in mind)?
>>  In case of Xilinx ???_devices.c could be the list of all the IPs
>> supported in linux.
>>  But ???_sys.c has little sense as for any given combination of the
>> particular
>>  Virtex-II Pro chip and the particular board the set of IPs (as well
>> as the memory
>> map, interrupt numbers, some hardware options (if ethernet has SGDMA
>> or not))
>>  is not fixed. I.e. ideally we would need some kind of run time system
>> configuration
>>  instead of compiled time system configuration implemented by ???_sys.c.
>

> This is correct.  There is nothing that precludes us from building up a
> way to dynamically create the information.  Is there some way to query
> the hardware itself, or is the information implied something else?
>
> - kumar

My intention was to give a device tree structure to the kernel at boot
time via a (pseudo?) pointer in bd_info or similar. Then you would only
need to recompile a little bootloader (which is needed for setting up
the FPGA anyway) with this structure for every specific card. You could
even be shrewd enough to have a single kernel image but several
structures to launch several processors on the same chip. Does it sound
like a sane solution?

Otherwise, I'm a bit unsure as to whether a system with a gigantic list
of devices in ???_devices.c is the right way to go. In the Xilinx case,
not only is a list of possible IP:s needed, but also the usual standard
circuits which can be connected from outside to the chip. Wouldn't it be
more realistic to have knowledge of the compiled in drivers somehow?

	/Jakob