Platform bus/ppc sys model...

Andrei Konovalov akonovalov at ru.mvista.com
Wed Mar 30 23:52:09 EST 2005

Sylvain Munaut wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Is there some good documentation about how to use the platform bus / ppc
>> sys model or is it only possible to read and try to understand the code
>> for the freescale devices?
>

> I'm not aware on documentation for the ppc_sys model in particular but
> the code is pretty easy to understand/read.
>
> Basically you have a ???_devices.c that describe all the devices you can
> find in a family of devices (by family I mean basically the same
> processors but with slightly different options/peripheral), then a
> ???_sys.c that describe each particular variant with the devices that
> are really implemented in that variant). Then somewhere in platform init
> code, you need to identify the ppc system  you're runngin on ( by a
> identify_ppc_sys_by_id(mfspr(SPRN_SVR)); for e.g. ).
>
> Kumar, if I got it wrong, please correct ;)

Do I understand correct that the ppc_sys model used by 85xx, 83xx, and 52xx
SOCs is not so well suited for Virtex-II Pro (which Jakob and me bear in mind)?
In case of Xilinx ???_devices.c could be the list of all the IPs supported in linux.
But ???_sys.c has little sense as for any given combination of the particular
Virtex-II Pro chip and the particular board the set of IPs (as well as the memory
map, interrupt numbers, some hardware options (if ethernet has SGDMA or not))
is not fixed. I.e. ideally we would need some kind of run time system configuration
instead of compiled time system configuration implemented by ???_sys.c.

Thanks,
Andrei