ASM formatting rules?

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Tue Mar 29 18:32:11 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 08:21:50AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 10:44 -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > While this is not overly important to me, I was wondering if we had any
> > rules related to formatting of assembly files.  We seem to have code
> > formatted with and without spaces in the args.
> >
> > I'm assuming something like this (w/o spaces):
> >
> > <TAB>insn<TAB>argD,arg1,arg2
> >
> > is what we want?  Just trying to get a rule documented going forward.
>
> I used to have argD, arg1, arg2 but since everything else was "compact",
> I now tend to adapt to everything else ;)

Assembly is not C! I don't like the space after the comma in
assembly, but can adapt to (almost) any style.

For the record, the biggest file of PPC assembly I wrote
(the real mode x86 emulator to initialize graphics board
through BIOS emulation) is really atypical:

1) it has two tabs before the opcode, because it must
accomodate really_long_labels and a single tab is not enough.

2) only a space between the opcode and the operands, but many
registers have fixed uses and have mnemonic names through #defines.
This helps a lot for readability and maintainability. See 4)
for the reason.

3) no space after the comma between operands.

4) Sometimes several instructions separated by a semicolon in
the same line, but only the first instruction may have a label.
That's because at the time I wanted to see as much as possible
on a small screen. But this does not mix well with putting
tabs between instruction and operands, hence 2).

I don't think these rules ar generally applicable to
assembly files, these were specific rules which matched
my needs for this file (5000 lines).

	Gabriel