Problem running Linux 2.6.11 on MPC8272ADS

Walter L. Wimer III walt.wimer at timesys.com
Tue Mar 29 02:06:59 EST 2005

Hi Mike,

I had the same "hang" experience.  The file arch/ppc/platforms/pq2ads.c
contains the following function:

  void __init
  m82xx_board_setup(void)
  {
  	/* Enable the 2nd UART port */
  	*(volatile uint *)(BCSR_ADDR + 4) &= ~BCSR1_RS232_EN2;
  }

I had to ifdef-out the assignment statement above.  It appears that the
definition for BCSR_ADDR in the kernel code differs from what U-Boot is
using, and that area of memory isn't properly mapped into the kernel
address space this early in the boot sequence.  As a result, I was
getting an Oops() before the console was even enabled (I could see the
Oops message by examining the kernel's printk log buffer using a
BDI-2000 hardware debugger).

Good luck,

Walt Wimer
TimeSys Corporation