PCI problem

Mark A. Greer mgreer at mvista.com
Sat Mar 19 04:35:32 EST 2005

srinivas.surabhi at wipro.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We are facing the problem with MVlinux3.1 having kernel 2.4.20 booting
>once the PCI is enabled in config kernel.
>
>First Question is it any where required in linux kernel sources to make
>the PCI configuration changes...IF so please let me know in which file
>??
>
>Even the message "linux kernel banner " which is at the beginning of the
>start_kernel function is not seen. Once the multi image( kernel + ram
>disk File system) is extracted into RAM. After that it hangs
>

>bootm 0xfef80000 ## Booting image at fef80000 ...
>   Image Name:   MultiImage
>   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Multi-File Image (gzip compressed)
>   Data Size:    4647626 Bytes =  4.4 MB
>   Load Address: 00000000
>   Entry Point:  00000000
>   Contents:
>   Image 0:   551181 Bytes = 538.3 kB
>   Image 1:  4096430 Bytes =  3.9 MB
>   Verifying Checksum ... OK
>   Uncompressing Multi-File Image ... =0=
>OK
>Booting Linux
>
>...Then hangs ....
>
>SO please help me out in finding out the relation of PCI and the
>start_kernel. As per my knowledge once the kernel_init is entered then
>the pci_init is invoked. But strangely I am seeing with pci enabled,
>hang at the very beginning..
>
>Thanks & Rgds
>SS

Srinivas,

1) Please don't post the same question twice to the same mailing list.

2) Please stop replying to a msg in an existing thread when you start a
new thread.  Go look at
http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2005-March/thread.html.
Your new thread appear as though its part of 440GX 2.6 NAP thread.  It
looks like you've done that in other threads too.

3) When you ask a question, please provide enough detail so that there
is at least the possibility that someone else can help you.  What
platform is this on?  Did this kernel ever work for you on that
platform?  If so, then what have you changed?

4) Heed Wolfgang's advice...if you actually did pay MontaVista for
support then you should be contacting them.

Mark