looking for a model for building CRAMFS(?)-based system

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 18 03:32:18 EST 2005

Dear Robert,

in message <Pine.LNX.4.61.0503171011220.20335 at localhost.localdomain> you wrote:

> now this is the sticky part.  imagine this system out in the field,
> where you need to make an update to something in the initrd in the
> root filesystem.

This is the szenario where an overly filesystem enters the stage.

See http://www.denx.de/e/news.php#MINI_FO

Note that the overlay filesystem was developed specifically for  this
purpose;  it  has been in production use in some telecom products for
over a year now.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Only in our dreams we are free.  The rest of the time we need  wages.
                                    - Terry Pratchett, _Wyrd Sisters_