looking for a model for building CRAMFS(?)-based system

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 18 02:14:41 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Patrick Huesmann wrote:

> I'm using separate MTD partitions for bootloader, device parameters,
> zImage, initrd and persistent storage.
>
> When updating the initrd, the only thing necessary is a
> eraseall /dev/mtdX
> cat initrd.gz > /dev/mtdX

now this is the sticky part.  imagine this system out in the field,
where you need to make an update to something in the initrd in the
root filesystem.

one technique would be to, of couse, download an entirely new
initrd.gz and reflash (hoping no one pulls the plug as you're doing
it), as you describe above.

what about sacrificing space and having an uncompressed root
filesystem in flash?  and, if that's possible, would one mount it
read-only from flash (speed?), or just copy it into RAM and mount that
every time?

if all this is covered somewhere, a URL would be fine, thanks.

rday