looking for a model for building CRAMFS(?)-based system

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 17 03:33:39 EST 2005

  i'm hoping someone has an example of the following that they're
willing to share.

  currently, the system i've built for our 850 board incorporates

	- boot loader (sadly, not u-boot, but i'm working on it)
	- standard zImage.initrd.bin kernel+initrd image
	... mountable JFFS2 filesystem with persistent stuff ...

  obviously, with this layout, it's kind of a nuisance to update
anything individually in the initrd portion of the system, so i'd like
to at least experiment with a layout that has separate

	- boot loader (ideally, u-boot)
	- kernel image
	- updateable (normally mounted read-only?) root filesystem
	... rest of stuff the same ...

  i'm going to start over at DENX with their docs since that seems to
be the canonical place to get the scoop on this but, in the meantime,
if anyone has built something like this and is willing to share, say,
their makefile so i can see how it goes together, i'd be thrilled.

  if your example happens to *require* u-boot, well, perhaps so much
the better since that will give me the incentive to switch. :-)

  thanks.

rday