RFC: PHY Abstraction Layer II

James Chapman jchapman at katalix.com
Wed Mar 16 06:18:19 EST 2005

Hi Andy,

I finally found some time to review your phy abstraction code.

I haven't reviewed the low level MII functions; I focused mostly on
its API to the net driver and whether it has the necessary hooks to
handle the various hardware that I know.

General comment: nice, clean code. No serious style or Linux kernel
core API issues that I can see.

Specific comments follow.

- It isn't obvious what has to be done in net drivers to hook up this
   code. Consider writing a Documentation/networking/phy.txt to
   describe typical net driver code changes needed.

- If a net driver is modified to use your new code, should it use any
   functions from mii.c at all? I guess I'm unclear about the
   relationship with mii.c.

- netif_carrier_on()/off() calls are done by mii.c on link state
   changes. Consider doing the same inside your phy code.

- Some hardware does not use a separate irq for phy but instead
   indicates phy events via the ethernet chip's irq.

   There are registered phy_driver callbacks to handle things like
   read/clear/ack interrupt status. But if my ethernet device's phy
   interrupt is effectively one or more bits in the ethernet chip's
   status register (where there is no separate phy interrupt), how
   would this hook into your phy code? For example, in the interrupt
   handler of mv643xx_eth, we check status bits that indicate link
   state change from the same register that indicates rx/tx packet
   events.

   Also, NAPI drivers will disable irqs and poll for tx/rx while there
   is work to do. If they have a combined tx/rx/phy interrupt then does
   this pose other issues for hooking up the new phy code?

- What determines whether the phy driver uses interrupts or polling?

- The callback registered in phy_connect() is called when phy link
   changes are detected. It is passed a struct device*. How about
   letting the net driver register its struct net_device* which would
   be passed back in the callback? It is likely that the callback will
   need access to net driver data anyway. Some net drivers will need to
   reconfigure their ethernet chip for duplex/speed setting changes,
   for example. Passing in the struct net_device* also lets the phy
   code call netif_xxx() functions such as netif_carrier_on()/off()
   mentioned earlier as well as the netif_msg_xxx message control
   macros.

- The callback function is only called by the phy timer poll as
   far as I can tell. Shouldn't it also be called in the phy interrupt
   handler when link state changes?

- Have all phy printk messages controlled by the netif_msg_ macros.

- Many drivers use mii.c to implement ethtool functions. I don't see
   equivalents in your new code.

- Does include/linux/phy.h represent a public API for use by net
   drivers or is it also the internal API used by various C files in
   your phy code?  It seems to contain some data/defs that are
   private to the implementation. Separate some members of struct
   phy_device into public and private parts and move the private bits
   into separate files away from include/linux?

- phy_sanitize_settings() / phy_force_reduction()

   I don't understand why this is done. Are you trying to handle
   link negotiation in software for phy chips that can't autoneg?

Other minor notes:-

- Rename register_mdiobus() --> mdiobus_register()?

- I personally try to avoid listing parameter names in function header
   comment blocks; they seldom contain useful info and they're a
   maintenance overhead. If it would be useful for docbook-generated
   documentation then ok, but your comment blocks don't follow that
   format anyway.

I hope this was useful.

/james