query regarding I2C controller on MPC8260

Yuli Barcohen yuli at arabellasw.com
Sat Mar 12 07:39:46 EST 2005

    Vijay> Hi there I am using an MPC8260-based target board. My target
    Vijay> is running U-Boot 1.1.2 as the bootloader and Linux-2.6.10 as
    Vijay> the kernel with BusyBox-1.0. I wish to use the I2C controller
    Vijay> on the MPC8260 to access an external EEPROM connected to
    Vijay> it. I need to do this from *user space*.

    Vijay> From what I understand, we can open the I2C device with the
    Vijay> open command from our application as follows:

    Vijay> ret = open ("/dev/i2c-0", O_RDWR);

    Vijay> After this, the device should be accessible using either
    Vijay> standard I2C functions or SMBus functions.

    Vijay> I read that if the I2C controller supports SMBus, it will be
    Vijay> preferable to access the device via the SMBus read/write
    Vijay> functions, as they seem to be more "efficient." What I want
    Vijay> to know is, does the PowerPC I2C controller support the SMBus
    Vijay> protocol? I don't think it does, judging from the MPC8260
    Vijay> manual, but just want to be sure.

It does not support SMBus but since it's a full-featured I2C controller,
it's not a problem. SMBus emulation mode can be used on any I2C
controller.

    Vijay> Also, do we need to create the /dev/i2c-0 device file
    Vijay> manually or will it be created on the fly?

It depends on the /dev filesystem which you use. If it's devfs (or you
use udev), the file will be created on the fly, otherwise you have to
create it manually.