PPC 440GX with NS DP83865 phy

Gerhard Jaeger g.jaeger at sysgo.com
Fri Mar 11 03:22:33 EST 2005

On Thursday 10 March 2005 17:03, Eugene Surovegin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 11:06:53AM +0100, Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> > the patch has been posted in October last year (wow, thought it was in
> > december or so):
> > http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2004-October/015811.html
> >
> > I think it needs some cleanup to apply correctly, but the issue is still
> > the same -  the RGMII bridge needs to be setup again after the EMAC has
> > been reset. This problem occurs, when the speed is != 100Mbs, then
> > the clocking for the phy is not correct.
> > I have attached an updated patch, which first checks the PHY speed, then
> > according to that speed the RGMII and ZMII will be setup...
>
> [snip]
>
> OK, from quick look it seems that this is infamous problem with PHYs
> which don't generate Rx clock if there is no link.
>
> Current driver works sometimes probably just by luck.
>
> Gerhard, there is an experimental NAPI driver for 4xx at
> http://kernel.ebshome.net (for current 2.4 & 2.6 BK trees). I recently
> added full 440GX support. We (Matt and I) are thinking about
> scraping the current driver and using my new version sometimes in the
> future. It'd be great if you could find some time and try this new
> driver on your board. Enable "PHY Rx clock workaround" in driver
> config.
>
> Feel free to contact me directly if you have any problems with this
> driver (e.g. applying patch to an older kernel version, etc).

Eugene, I will give it a try ASAP. As we are using a heavily patched 2.4
kernel on the customers board, where came up, it might took some time
for making it work - but I'll keep you informed.

Thanx
Gerhard

--
Gerhard Jaeger <gjaeger at sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software