PPC 440GX with NS DP83865 phy

Eugene Surovegin ebs at ebshome.net
Fri Mar 11 03:03:56 EST 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 11:06:53AM +0100, Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> the patch has been posted in October last year (wow, thought it was in
> december or so):
> http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2004-October/015811.html
>
> I think it needs some cleanup to apply correctly, but the issue is still
> the same -  the RGMII bridge needs to be setup again after the EMAC has
> been reset. This problem occurs, when the speed is != 100Mbs, then
> the clocking for the phy is not correct.
> I have attached an updated patch, which first checks the PHY speed, then
> according to that speed the RGMII and ZMII will be setup...

[snip]

OK, from quick look it seems that this is infamous problem with PHYs
which don't generate Rx clock if there is no link.

Current driver works sometimes probably just by luck.

Gerhard, there is an experimental NAPI driver for 4xx at
http://kernel.ebshome.net (for current 2.4 & 2.6 BK trees). I recently
added full 440GX support. We (Matt and I) are thinking about
scraping the current driver and using my new version sometimes in the
future. It'd be great if you could find some time and try this new
driver on your board. Enable "PHY Rx clock workaround" in driver
config.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any problems with this
driver (e.g. applying patch to an older kernel version, etc).

--
Eugene