port linux to custom board

T T tath76 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 00:09:50 EST 2005

Host computer: AMD ( I think K8 amd cpu which is i686)
target: custom board (XC2VP4 fpga that contains ppc405, and build around the ppc405 are peripherals UARTLITE, SPI controller, SDRAM controller, PLB (processor locus bus).  I have used serial SPI flash from ST(M25P32).  NO ETHERNET

GNU toolchain I build ==> binutils (2.10.1)  gcc (2.95.3), glibc (2.2.1) includes 2.2.1 linuxthread.

I have follow instructions from "Building Embedded Linux Systems" book to build the kernel image.  After I follow up to chapter to 5,  the follow instructions that I did are

   $make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux- clean dep
   $make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux- zImage
   $make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux- moudles

during step "installing the kernel" on page 167, I look under /arch/ppc/boot/zImage, and could not find the zImage.  <== don't know why, I had seen the other files like system.map, vmlinux .config.

other questions I want to ask is seen I have use serial spi flash memory (ST M25P32) ==> how do I build the "Root file system" on this flash, how do I do with the MTD, and bootloader.  I am new to this stuff, so I don't what to do.

thanks.

http://mail.yahoo.com