RFC: PHY Abstraction Layer II

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Mar 9 14:50:14 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 19:42 -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 13:14:16 +1100
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
>
> > I'll have a closer look when I find some time, see if it makes sense to
> > adapt sungem or not.
>
> Especially because of the Broadcom PHYs I bet it doesn't.
>
> Too many chips have to reset the MAC, or do other fancy stuff
> when programming the PHY to make this genphy thing very useful.

Oh, I think genphy is just a generic driver, but his layer has hooks for
other PHY drivers (wasn't it based on sungem_phy in the first place ?)

I discussed several steps of the design with Andy, the idea was to have
something a bit like sungem_phy.c with addditional common library for
doing the link polling & fallback stuff etc... that could be easily
shared by drivers.

Ben.