MPC5200 kernel with IDE *and* FEC?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 9 07:03:06 EST 2005

In message <DBFABB80F7FD3143A911F9E6CFD477B0056A92B5 at hqemmail02.nvidia.com> you wrote:

> By the way, to the people who mentioned using Debian and Gentoo on the
> MPC5200, are there any web-sites that have info on how to do this
> (toolchain and/or distro)? I haven't managed to find anything remotely
> detailed on cross-building either of these distros. But I'll probably
> just do it from scratch now I have NPTL-aware toolchain:-)

You don't have to cross-build anything; you can just use the existing
ISO images for installation. For Debian Woody you can find a detailed
description   (thanks   to    bernhard    Kuhn    for    this!)    at
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/DebianOnPowerpcInstallationHowto

In the meantime we swithched to using Ubuntu Linux on the  5200,  but
here  installation  is  a  bit  more  complicated as you will have to
twiddle with  the  installation  ramdisk  image,  and  later  perform
certain  steps  manually. It's probably easier to copy the filesystem
from a "real" PowerPC system ;-)

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If I can have honesty, it's easier to overlook mistakes.
	-- Kirk, "Space Seed", stardate 3141.9