Read TCN-register in user space

Björn Östby Bjorn.Ostby at combitechsystems.com
Mon Mar 7 22:02:15 EST 2005

I'm currently using ELDK 3.0 (kernel 2.4.25) and a mpc823e trying to do some latency measurements for my final thesis project.

I'm wondering if there is any possibility to read the Timer Counter Register (TCN1) in user space. I have initially used gettimeofday(), which provides sufficient resolution (usec), but I suppose that solution probably adds on some kind of unknown context-switch latency. Does anyone have a clue on how to access this in user space? Could inline assembler or perhaps mmap() do the trick (I'm using C as programming language)?.

Regards,
Bjorn