FEC_IEVENT_RFIFO_ERROR

Sylvain Munaut tnt at 246tNt.com
Fri Mar 4 02:08:30 EST 2005

Hi

> I run 2.6.10-rc2 kernel (http://www.246tNt.com/mpc52xx/)
> for MPC5200 chip on a custom board that is almost lite5200 compatible.
> I noticed a couple of times I have a strange error at bootup.
> It was FEC_IEVENT_RFIFO_ERROR. Most of the times this
> went trough without problems but since today system just hangs.
> Sometimes with several printouts of this error.
> ---boot sequence ------
> FEC_IEVENT_RFIFO_ERROR
> FEC_IEVENT_RFIFO_ERROR
> FEC_IEVENT_RFIFO_ERROR

Theses are definitly not "normal" but you said "since today it just hangs",
did something change in the environment of the card ?

> I traced a problem a bit and found that this happenes at
> mpc52xx_fec_probe() function in fec.c at this point:
>
>       /* Get the IRQ we need one by one */
>                /* Control */
>        dev->irq = ocp->def->irq;
> -->       if (request_irq(dev->irq, &fec_interrupt, SA_INTERRUPT,
>                        "mpc52xx_fec_ctrl", dev)) {
>                printk(KERN_ERR "mpc52xx_fec: ctrl interrupt request
> failed\n");
>                ret = -EBUSY;
>                dev->irq = -1;  /* Don't try to free it */
>                goto probe_error;
>        }

It ovbiously can't happen before since the message it printed in that
interrupt
handler. But it should not happen there either (not so early) !

This error globally says : "Somthing got wrong with the receive buffer". But
at this point, frame reception is not yet enabled, how could it go wrong
? Unless
your bootloader don't take care of shutting down the fec, then frames
may be
stuck in the fifo between the bootloader and the fec init ...

> This is what I found in MPC5200 Users Manual:
> Receive FIFO Error--indicates error occurred within the forest green
> version
> RX FIFO. When RFIFO_ERROR bit is set, ECNTRL.ETHER_EN is cleared,
> halting FEC frame processing. When this occurs, software must ensure both
> the FIFO Controller and BestComm are soft-reset.
>
> Any ideas on what could be causing this?

I can't explain why this happen so early at init (as I said before) but
other things that could
cause such an event :
 - We don't have enough buffer descriptors : The bescomm task just fill
them all and runs out
   of them before the interrupt is handled.
 - The bestcomm engine don't flush the RX fifo quicly enough. Currently
the only tasks
 - Bestcomm stopped processing for whatever reason ...
 - Something else that I don't see at the moment. I'll try to "stress
test" network a little bit,
 see if I can reproduce the issue.

In the mean time, pull the latest change, I just pushed some fixes
related to frame reception,
I don't think it's related to your issue but ...

    Sylvain