Adding machine types to the kernel tree...

Jakob Viketoft jakob.viketoft at bitsim.se
Thu Mar 3 22:46:12 EST 2005

Hi!

Are there any certain policys or religious issues about adding machine
types to the (ppc40x) kernel tree, and who's responsible for kicking
stuff like this up the main tree?

Specifically, I would like to replace the PowerPC405 support for the
Xilinx ML 300 (development board) with generic Xilinx Virtex-II Pro and
Virtex4 support (FPGAs). In my opinion, the end target isn't the
development boards, but the custom configuration it all will run on in
the end, and so things would benefit from a more general support. Do
anyone have any insightful views/opinions on this or comments of any kind?

Clearly, there seem to be some demand for this lately according to
traffic on the list...

Cheers!

	/Jakob