Building a Kernel for the AMCC PPC440EP Bamboo Board

Gerhard Jaeger g.jaeger at sysgo.com
Wed Mar 2 03:37:22 EST 2005

Hi,

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 17:14, Zeighami, Roy wrote:
> Hello...
>
> I am trying to build a kernel image for the AMCC Bamboo PPC440EP board.
>
> My colleague downloaded a preview kit from MontaVista and that worked.
>
> However, I am trying to build a toolchain using crosstool and create a
> 2.6.x kernel image.  However, when I type:
>
> "make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-440-linux-gnu- menuconfig"
>
> When I select 44x as the CPU type, I don't see "Bamboo" under machine
> type.

This won't work, as Bamboo BSP stuff is currently not added.

> Also, I tried building a 2.6.8 kernel image  with Ebony but I can't get
> a successful build.
>
> I get the following errors:
>
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x3c7ec): In function
> `floppy_release_irq_and_dma':
> : undefined reference to `free_dma'
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x3dc14): In function
> `floppy_grab_irq_and_dma':
> : undefined reference to `request_dma'
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x3dddc): In function
> `floppy_grab_irq_and_dma':
> : undefined reference to `free_dma'
> make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

> However, the crosstool web site says that the following combo should
> build: gcc-3.4.2, glibc-2.3.3, binutils-2.15, linux-2.6.8
>
> Any suggestions?

try to use ebony_defconfig

> Also, if the kernel source provided by Monta Vista is some special
> branch that isn't merged to kernel.org, does anyone know how to get the
> latest source from Monta Vista?

guess you should ask AMCC or MontaVista directly - or extract the
stuff from the sources you already got from the preview kit.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--
Gerhard Jaeger <gjaeger at sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software