High processing power and gigabit interface

emre kara emrekara2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 00:16:26 EST 2005

Hi everyone;
Thank you all for your valueable answers.
For summarizing the solutions, to overcome the problem
about getting high troughput on ethernet devices:
1- Use NAPI version of ethernet drivers(I didnt hear
its implemented for 440gx)
2- Change the processor with an much powerful one(like
8540, and I think there was also a NAPI driver for
this processor, so it can also cover the first
solution)
3- Use network processor

The third solution is an expensive one,my project is
not at that huge, so I eliminate this.
And my question, I have good hardware and mid level
linux device driver knowledge, but I never wrote an
ethernet driver.
Is there a lot of work for 440gx NAPI driver,can I
write it easly,if so where can I start,(or did someone
make it before?)
or must I throw 440gx eval board to waste basket and
buy a new platform?
Thank you all..
Emre