/sbin/init is not beeing scheduled to run

Eugene Surovegin ebs at ebshome.net
Thu Jun 30 02:54:08 EST 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:39:55AM -0700, Chunlei Dong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to boot the linux 2.6.11.5 in high memory, that means the
> phys memory does not start from 0, but 0x04000000, on ppc440gp ebony
> board.  I changed the TLB setting and register settings for bdinfo,
> cmdline. Now it seems ok to run to the end of the process 0. After the
> start_thread() in load_elf_binary(), which loaded the "/sbin/init",
> the cpu becomes idle state, the /sbin/init process(the process 1) is
> never been scheduled to run.
> Anybody encountered this problem or give a hint?

Well, my suggestion is NOT to use such strange configuration and put
memory at 0, you'll save yourself a lot of time.

Theoretically, it should be possible to make Linux work when RAM
isn't at 0 address, but you have to fix many places and this requires
quite deep understanding of Linux and PPC 44x memory management, and,
frankly, you're on your own in this quest :).

--
Eugene