USB on MPC885 FADS board

trichec ctrichet at assystembrime.com
Thu Jun 23 17:24:38 EST 2005

Hello,

I get m8xxhci.c last release form Brad Parker's page
http://www.heeltoe.com/usb/ppc <http://www.heeltoe.com/usb/ppc>  and I have
modificated to use on the MPC823 FADS board. This drivers has also Roman
Weissgaerber changes.

I have done the following modifications:

1.- At the begin of the file:

#ifdef CONFIG_MYBOARD
#define USE_PA5_CLK3_USBCLK               /* 48mhz clock via clk3 */
#define USE_TIMER1_FOR_SOF
#endif

2.-I have loaded the microcode patch.

3.-I put TIMER 1 output (PA6) in the DRQ0 input and connect it to PC15

After booting Linux I have the following mesages:

m8xxhci: initializing controller
m8xxhci_setup()
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
m8xxhci_start_controller()
m8xxhci: USING CLK2 for USB clock!
m8xxhci: ring sizes: rx 60, tx 10
size 0x18 index 0xa00
size 0x1e0 index 0xa38
size 0x50 index 0xc20
PQUCODE: USB SOF patch installed
m8xxhci: enable USB controller
m8xxhci_timer_setup()
m8xxhci: timer bytes/count 0.25
m8xxhci: USING TIMER1 FOR SOF!
m8xxhci: timer1 started
m8xxhci: usb bus is NOT idle
Product: USB MPC8xx Root Hub
SerialNumber: ff000a00
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 1 port detected
rh_submit_urb() int pipe
rh_port_power(1)
m8xxhci: initializing done

and when i connect a device ............

 idle_bus() 1; d+ zero, d- one, connect lo-sp
rh_port_reset(1)
hub.c: new USB device m8xxhci-1, assigned address 2
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
unlink_urb(urb=c0552f50,qtype=2) status -115
unlink_urb(urb=c0552f50) done
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-110)
m8xxhci_free_dev(usb_dev=c049d600)
m8xxhci_free_dev(dev=c049d600) done
rh_port_reset(1)
hub.c: new USB device m8xxhci-1, assigned address 3
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
unlink_urb(urb=c0552f50,qtype=2) status -115
unlink_urb(urb=c0552f50) done
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-110)
m8xxhci_free_dev(usb_dev=c049d600)
m8xxhci_free_dev(dev=c049d600) done
rh_port_enable(0)

may i ask you a few questions about m8xxhci.c driver :

1) what do the define POLL_FOR_HUB   stands for and should i use it ?

2) is it correct to include hcd.o + hub.o +  usb.o + usb-debug.o to make
usbdrv.o in the kernel ?

3)Is the behavior of the driver correct according to the trace above if no
data goes out of MPC885 USB pins ? What can prevent data to go out ?

4) is it correct to include your driver in the kernel ? (and not run it as
an external module) ?

5) i try this driver with SOF generated by micro-patch :
-> should this SOF automaticaly sent on the PPC usb tx data line as soon as
a device is connected ?
-> when you plug a usb device (keyboard) what is the first thing the driver
must do ? send a setup command ? (I try to see when you write this command
in a BD but i can't find it )

6) can this driver drive mass storage device (selected by CONFIG_USB_STORAGE
kernel parameter) ?

76) when we use USB_UPATCH how do behave the CPM ? does it generate SOF
continuously ? how do we tell the CPM to start or stop the SOF transmission
?

Thank you very much for any reply
Best regards